Troikata Square was laid out with the first general plan of Burgas at the end of the 19th century.
In the early 20th century, this square was used as a market place, hence its first name - Pazarnii. The independence of Bulgaria was proclaimed here on the 22nd of September 1908 for the citizens of Burgas. In 1934, a lamppost with three lighting fixtures was placed in the centre of the square, this lead the square to be renamed to “Troikata” (Bulgarian for “three”).
Nowadays, Troikata is often a common location for various city festivals and fairs.