Orthodox Temple St. Virgin Mary is the eldest among the churches in Burgas. It was built in the middle of the 19th century (1840-1860). The liturgy in Greek language was held up to the year 1906, when the church was renamed from “The Assumption of Mary” to “The Lord’s Transfiguration”. The church is a three-nave basilica with 12 marble columns on the inside holding the roofing and the wide balcony construction. The church preserves valuables icons painted by monks in the Holy Mountain, Athos peninsula. In the years 1927-28 the church obtained two new towers with bells fitted in. After World War II this religious building was declared for cultural heritage. On the 3rd of March 1952 the Church trustees voted over revealing the old name of the church – “The Assumption of Mary”. During the years 1957-58 the master of iconography Mr. Nikolai Evgenievic Rostovcev painted the entire temple inside new.