The church was built during the 1920s, urged by the fast expansion of the industrial city. Biggest part of the contributions used for the building came from the rich benefactor Mr. Alexander Georgiev Kodzhakafaliata, who placed his land at the poor inhabitants’ disposal. The church-building-committee received great deal of donations from the Union of reserve sergeants, as well as from other churches and pious Christians. On April the 1st 1934 the church St. Ivan Rilski has opened for the religious needs of the local population.
Four bells are hanging inside the church tower, the biggest bell weights 100kg, the second one is 60kg and the other two are 40kg each. The iconostasis was made during the building of the church with measurements of 11,5m width and 3m height. Most of the icons here are painted by the master artist Prof. Nikolai Kozhuharov. On the 1st of November 1973 during the sanctification of the church, inside the communion table were placed the relics of St. Martyr Vakh.