Petko Ivanov Zadgorski is one of the Burgas’ most famous painters and sculptors.
He was born on 18th June 1902 in Sliven. In 1928 he graduated at the Art Academy in the class of Prof. Dimitar Gyudzhenov. His works are mostly in the genres landscape and figure composition. In the period between 1930 and 1962 Petko Zadgorski worked as an art teacher in Burgas; among his students were artists such as George Baev and Todor Atanasov.
In 1951 Mr. Zadgorski created a monument dedicated to the Russian poet Alexander Pushkin. The bronze sculpture in human size placed on a granite pedestal was inaugurated on 22nd February 1952 in Sea Garden of Burgas. Nowadays, this undisputed masterpiece of the sculptural art is a symbol of the Sea Garden and the city of Burgas.
Petko Zadgorski became first chairman of the established in the 60s of the 20 century Society of Burgas artists. In 1968 he was awarded the Order of Cyril and Methodius II degree. Today the Art Gallery of Burgas proudly carries the name of Petko Zadgorski.