On October 22, Thursday, at 5:30 pm in the Georgi Baev Hall of the Sea Casino, the Burgas Regional History Museum will present an exhibition and a book about the Burgas fortification during the Balkan War of 1912-1913.
For the first time, original documents related to the history of our city from the beginning of the 20th century will be shown - military field diaries, telegrams, etc.
Another highlight of the museum event is the recently published scientific publication tracing the formation and activities of the Burgas fortified during the Balkan War 1912 - 1913. Its author and compiler is Yana Ivanova - a historian in RIM - Burgas. For several years she researched the valuable archives of Major Hristo G. Popov - Assistant Commandant of the station. The main contribution to her research is the publication of the diaries of the Burgas fortified settlement by Hristo Popov, which are a completely new and hitherto unknown historical source for the city of Burgas. The presented data shed light on the military life in the city in a different aspect. The book contains unknown data about the military hospitals, the Turkish prisoners of war and the wounded Bulgarian soldiers who were treated in the city of Burgas. The protection of the sea coast, the fire defense points from today's town of Obzor to the town of Tsarevo, the routes of the Turkish and Bulgarian warships during the fighting, the torpedoing of the cruiser "Hamidie" and the opening of the Bulgarian torpedoes on the Sozopol coast are presented in great detail. , from which it is clear that it was the torpedo of the ship "Daring" that struck the Turkish ship. Data on the port of Bourgas are also presented, as well as curious moments about the attempts for smuggling by some ships. During the preparation of the specialized edition a number of additional references and analyzes were made in libraries, archives and museums. The aim of the author is to show the importance of the Burgas fortification as an important social factor, as well as the role of personalities such as Hristo G. Popov and Lazar Obreshkov. The desire is to strengthen the connection between the interested reader and the museum as a scientific institution, in fulfillment of the patriotic mission of preserving and presenting the national memory.
The book will be presented by Prof. Svetlozar Eldarov from the Institute of Balkan Studies with a Center for Thracology at the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences.
The project for the exhibition and the book "Burgas Fortress during the Balkan War" was developed by RIM-Burgas and is funded by the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Bulgaria and the museum's own funds.
After October 23, 2020, the exhibition will be exhibited in the Historical Museum at 31 Lermontov Street.
A copy of the book can be purchased during the presentation and then at the museum store.
<img style="max-width:600px;float:left" src="uploads/albums/album348/121212257_4048610585165602_1327911064748473012_o.jpg" / > On October 8, 2020 in the National Historical Museum was opened the exhibition of the Regional Historical Museum of Burgas "Known and unknown from the Burgas region". The exhibition brings together three themes that reveal the rich cultural heritage of the region.
The first topic is the exhibition "Bulgarian refugees in our memory", which through information boards and preserved authentic costumes from the fund of the Regional Historical Museum of Burgas shows the difficult fate of our compatriots from Eastern Thrace, Western Thrace, Asia Minor and Macedonia. The exhibition presents the creation of the Sarafovo neighborhood and the Refugee Loan of December 22, 1926, which our country takes for the land of the settlers and the construction of the so-called Sharon houses in the cities on the southern Black Sea coast.
The second topic is dedicated to a unique custom typical of Strandzha Mountain - "Firefighting - Bulgarian magic with fiery embers". The author of the exhibition is Tsonya Drazheva (1954-2013), who was also a long-time director of the museum in Burgas. Fans of the ancient custom have the opportunity to see and get acquainted with exhibits and photos related to the magical dance, performed today, on the night of June 3rd to 4th in the village of Bulgari, municipality. Small Tarnovo. Among the most famous firefighters remains Grandma Zlata, who went into the embers until the end of her days, because firefighting is magic - the magic of fire, the magic of walking on coals, the magic of connecting man with another world. Independently, the exhibition has visited various points and regions in the country - BAS Sofia, IM-Kavarna, RIM-Haskovo, EMO "Etar", RIM-Shumen, REM-Plovdiv, etc., is also presented in Poland.
The third theme features authentic costumes from the fund of the Regional Historical Museum of Burgas, which reveal the diversity of ethnographic and ethnic groups living in the Burgas region. The traditional women's costumes are from Malko Tarnovo, the villages of Kozichino, Fakia, Tranak, Esen.
The exhibition was opened by Deputy. Director of NIM Eng. Nadia Nikolova, Diana Savateva - Deputy. Mayor of Culture, Tourism and Sports of the city of Burgas and Plamena Kirova - ethnologist at RIM Burgas. Sofians and guests of the capital can view the exhibition until December 2020 in the hall for temporary exhibitions of NHM.
St. Peter's Island is a small island in the Bulgarian territorial waters of the Black Sea. Its altitude is up to 9 m. It is located about fifty meters east of the island of St. Ivan, near Sozopol. It is assumed that with rising sea levels over the past two millennia and the accompanying geological processes has separated from the island of St. John. The island is not mentioned in written sources until the second half of the 19th century. The Greek historian Lambros Kamberidis assumes that after the other two islands in the waters of Sozopol (St. Ivan and St. Kirik and Julita) were named after the church buildings there, it is likely and St. Peter had a church or monastery, and the memory of him is preserved in the name. The long-time director of the museum in Burgas, Tsonya Drazheva, also mentions the existence of the foundations of a chapel on the island.
Until the autumn of 2020 on the island of St. Peter no archaeological research has been conducted. There are no data on accidental finds in Bulgarian museums. An exception is a well-preserved stone stock found south of the island by divers who have deposited it in the National History Museum.
From 28.09 to 8.10.2020 the first regular archeological excavations of the island were carried out. Several boreholes have been laid on an area of 66 sq. m.
Positive results from the study of the island have been achieved in the eastern sector of the excavations, where two structures are located - low mounds of accumulated imported soil, covered with small stones. Fragments of amphorae, bowls, thick-walled kitchen utensils were found in the soil. Fragments of thin-walled ceramic vessels covered with red lacquer and black varnish were also found. Of interest is the discovery of a bronze tip on a three-pointed arrow.
From the excavations and geological surveys carried out by Ch. Assistant Professor Dr. Stefan Velev (Sofia University "St. Kliment Ohridski") the following summaries can be made:
1. On today's island of St. Peter there was a seaside sanctuary. The ritual was the accumulation of small mounds of earth covered with stones. Based on the finds, the sanctuary dates from the end of the 5th century BC. There are no finds that can be dated to other eras.
2. There are no remains on the island and no evidence of the existence of a stone structure that could be associated with a supposed temple, chapel or larger church.
3. According to the geological research conducted by Dr. St. Velev, it can be said with a high degree of certainty that 2500 years ago, today's islands of St. John and St. Peter were an island divided into two separate parts at a much later time.
Archaeological excavations were conducted under the direction of Prof. Dr. Ivan Hristov (National History Museum - Sofia) and Dr. Milen Nikolov (Regional History Museum - Burgas). The studies are funded by the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Bulgaria.
On October 1, 2020, Thursday, from 14:00, in the yard of the Ethnographic Museum - Burgas, a press conference will be held, which will announce the results of research in the gulf of Chengene skele in the area of Cape Chiroza. Data on an underwater settlement from the ancient era will be presented, as well as the results of land research. For the first time, information about a newly studied underwater site in this area will be presented. This is probably a shipwreck of a wooden ship from the 17th-18th century, from which part of the cargo was found - European glass objects such as jugs, wine glasses and many others, which are of extremely high quality workmanship.
During the press conference will be presented the best preserved finds from the research - amphorae, battle stone ball, stone rod, glass objects and others.
The press conference will be attended by the Mayor of Burgas Dimitar Nikolov and the scientific supervisors of the research - Prof. Dr. Ivan Hristov, Deputy Director of the National History Museum and Ch. Assistant Professor Dr. Naiden Prahov - Director of the Center for Underwater Archeology - Sozopol.
Archaeological excavations of Cape Chiroza are carried out jointly by the Municipality of Burgas, National History Museum - Sofia, Center for Underwater Archeology - Sozopol, Regional History Museum - Burgas.
From 24 to 26 September 2020, Burgas will host for the fourth consecutive year the international forum DiPP2020 for digitalization of cultural and scientific heritage under the auspices of UNESCO. It is organized by the Institute of Mathematics and Informatics at the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences with the support of the Municipality of Burgas and the Research Fund.
The prestigious scientific event will be opened on September 24, 2020 at 13:00 in the Cultural Center "Sea Casino", Burgas.
The International Conference "Digital Presentation and Preservation of Cultural and Scientific Heritage" traditionally brings together working centers in the country and abroad to present the latest achievements in the field of ICT for cultural and scientific heritage and to identify guidelines for future research. More than 400 scientists from more than 25 countries (Bulgaria, Germany, Greece, Israel, Italy, China, Latvia, Portugal, Romania, Russia, USA, Serbia, Hungary, Ukraine, France, the Netherlands, the Czech Republic) participated in the previous 9 editions of DiPP , Switzerland, etc.), who presented scientific and project reports published in the conference proceedings (with open access to: http://dipp.math.bas.bg).
The conference aims to present innovations, projects and scientific and applied research in the field of digital documentation, archiving, presentation and preservation of world and national tangible and intangible cultural and scientific heritage. The main focus is to ensure open access to the digitized national cultural and scientific heritage and to pursue sustainable policies for its continued digital preservation and preservation. Priority is given to the digital presentation and preservation of cultural and historical monuments at risk. Innovative technologies and prototypes will be demonstrated at the conference, incl. digital repositories, digital archives, virtual museums and digital libraries, the result of established practices and achievements in the field. Public and specialized libraries, museums, galleries, archives, centers, research institutions and universities (national and foreign) are invited to exchange experiences, ideas and results on the theme of the conference.
The research and results presented at the forum are published in the referenced and indexed in Web of Science and Scopus edition-collection in English, which is printed before the conference.
Co-organizers of the event are: Regional Academic Center of BAS - Burgas, Municipality of Burgas, Regional History Museum - Burgas, Burgas Free University and Index Ltd.
Seminar and national information day "Open access to scientific publications and data", organized by the Institute of Mathematics and Informatics, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences.
Seminar "Virtual museums and their educational applications", organized by the Institute of Mathematics and Informatics - BAS) within the National Research Program "Cultural and Historical Heritage, National Memory and Social Development" (approved by Decision of the Council of Ministers №577 / 17.08.2018 ).
More information about the conference can be found on the DiPP2020 website.
At the end of August 2020, the dungeon tower in the castle of the medieval town of Rusokastro was fully explored. It is 16 meters long and 11 meters wide. It is hexagonal in plan. Its walls are 1.9 meters wide. According to researchers, the tower was built in the late thirteenth century. In the 70s of the fourteenth century it was burned down.
The tower was built of extremely well carved stone blocks. The construction was literally perfect. Unfortunately, it is the beautiful stone blocks that have attracted the attention of the local population, who have used the ruins as a quarry for centuries. As a result, only a few stone blocks remain on the outside faces of the walls. The floor of the tower was carefully plastered with mortar. Here, on the first floor, was probably the basement, where various food products were stored. Researchers suggest that the tower was about 15-18 meters high, on three or four floors.
One of the greatest successes in the study of the site is the localization of a workshop for horn products, which was located on one of the floors of the tower. During the fire, part of the production slipped into the basement and has now been discovered by archaeologists. These are blanks and semi-finished products from calf horn, fallow deer and red deer. Several completely finished products were also found - horn needles, plate plates and a very valuable find - an almost completely finished whistle. Ethnographic parallels suggest that it was embedded in a wooden flute.
Unfortunately, almost to the floor of the tower, the cultural layer was depleted and discarded during the extraction of stones by treasure hunters and the construction of a military trench, built probably in the 80s of the twentieth century.
The archeological research is the work of RHM-Burgas and is funded for another year by the Municipality of Kameno and the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Bulgaria.
The project "Saved Archives" of the Regional History Museum - Burgas was approved for funding under the program of Ministry of Culture. The project is based on the presentation of an exhibition and a book, through which the information from the personal archive of Major Hristo G. Popov about the Burgas fortified post during the Balkan War 1912-1913 will become available.
In 2015, RHM-Burgas managed to purchase a large number of archival documents, which are defined by experts as a unique historical source for the history of Burgas. The information is part of the archives of Major Hristo G. Popov - a military figure, a hero of the Serbo-Bulgarian War of 1885, Mayor of Sofia, Assistant Commandant of the Burgas stronghold during the Balkan War of 1912-1913 and Minister in the Government of Vasil Radoslavov 1915-1916. They contain personal correspondence and military-operational documentation such as telegrams, orders, letters, statements, etc., as well as the extremely valuable war diaries of Hristo Popov. In the research of the archive, which took nearly five years, additional research and analysis was made, using various historical sources from the DA "Archives", libraries, museums. The author of the exhibition "Saved Archives" and the book "Burgas fortified during the Balkan War 1912-1913" is the historian Yana Ivanova from RIM-Burgas.
With the future realization of the project RHM-Burgas continues its purposeful work for search, preservation and presentation of the cultural heritage.
New excavations took place at an archeological site on Cape Chiroza, between Kraimorie and the fishing village of Chengene Skele in the Burgas Bay. The site is known from the research of the Burgas archaeologist K. Gospodinov. They are funded by the Municipality of Burgas, the National History Museum and the Regional History Museum in Burgas. They were made by a joint team of the two museums.
In July, the first stage of the excavations of a fortified Hellenistic site from the II-I century BC, located on Cape Chiroza in the eastern part of the land of Kraimorie, Burgas Municipality, was completed. The studies were led by Prof. Dr. Ivan Hristov from NHM, with Deputy Head PhD Milen Nikolov, Director of RIM - Burgas. The fortification had an area of 800 square meters and was protected by a stone wall and a large moat with a depth of 1.3 m and a width of nearly 4 m.
An indicator of the dating of the site is the ceramic material. In 260 processed ceramic fragments, 40% are made of Thracian ceramics - vessels made by hand, with plastic decoration and polished surface. The other fragments are from amphorae, bottoms and walls of local and imported cups, red lacquer ceramics with embossed decoration. A reliable marker for dating the site are the handles, the bottoms of bone amphorae and ceramic fragments of supposed origin from the area of ancient Pergamum.
The discovery of the moat and the tracing, albeit in the initial stage, of the stone wall allow us to assume first that another late Hellenistic fortified center was built on Cape Chiroza, synchronous with the already known ones near the town of Primorsko (Farmakida), p. Sinemorets, the village of Brodilovo and the village of Izvor. However, it is possible that the narrow wall and the moat marked the top of the seaside sanctuary.
In the water area of the cape Prof. Ivan Hristov locates an ancient object, represented by various materials with wide dating. Thanks to the timely intervention of the Mayor of the Municipality of Burgas, PhD Dimitar Nikolov, and the Director of RHM-Burgas, funding was provided for a comprehensive study of the sites both underwater and on land.
Thus, from June 30 to July 7 in the eastern and southeastern waters of Cape Chiroza were conducted underwater searches, funded entirely by the Municipality of Burgas. As a result, archeological structures and finds on an area of 2 decares were discovered and mapped. At the same time, geophysical surveys and bathymetric surveys of the seabed were carried out, thanks to the support of the Center for Underwater Archeology - Sozopol.
Divers from the Center for Underwater Archeology and Municipal Diving Center - Sozopol, Eng. Kiril Velkovski, Dr. Bogdan Prodanov from the Institute of Oceanology in Varna, PhD Milen Nikolov - RHM Burgas took part in the research.
The following preliminary conclusions can be drawn from the conducted underwater surveys and geophysical surveys:
Several rock outcrops have been located on an underwater terrace, developing east of Cape Chiroza to a depth of 4 meters. The diving team managed to photograph many processed stone blocks of different sizes and shapes. Impressive is the discovery of a large number of fragments of Greek building ceramics (salt and calipers), Roman tegulas and imbrexes, as well as some whole late antique tiles. During the underwater inspections, the diving team managed to collect from the seabed about 100 ceramic fragments, half a stone Greek anchor rod, a stone battle ball, several relatively well-preserved amphorae.
It is assumed, at this stage of the underwater research, that the site at the foot of Cape Chiroza covered an area of 2000 sq m.
The presented underwater studies in 2020 are the second in the region in just one year. In the period 17-23.02.2020, a team led by Dr. Naiden Prahov conducted a geophysical scan and 2 diving inspections in the area of the Fishing Port in the bay of Chengene Scaffolding and at the island St. Anastasia.
In mid-August, the actual underwater excavations of the underwater site began, financed entirely by the Municipality of Burgas. They are led by Prof. Hristov and PhD Naiden Prahov, director of the Center for Underwater Archeology at the Ministry of Culture and Ch. Assistant Professor at NAIM-BAS. The general public will be informed about their results after their completion.
The studies were implemented as a joint project of RHM-Burgas and CPA, within the framework of their program for cooperation in studying the past of the Burgas coast.
We would like to express our gratitude to Assoc. Prof. Dr. Hristo Popov - Director of NAIM - BAS and the leadership of the Ministry of Culture, whose administrative support for the implementation of the research was invaluable.
The excavations in the bay of Chengene scaffolding are an emblematic good example of the wonderful interaction of various scientific institutions with the Municipality of Burgas in the study, preservation and promotion of the archaeological wealth of the Burgas region.
In the Natural History Exposition of the Regional Historical Museum - Burgas is exhibited the new thematic exhibition dedicated to the biological diversity of the Maritsa River "River of Biodiversity". It aims to show what the connection of people with the river is, what are the problems we are facing at the moment and why it is worth working to protect the health of the river ecosystem.
An otter, a small cormorant, a bee-eater and a kingfisher are some of the 11 realistic models that visitors will be able to see until the end of the summer. In addition to the spectacular models of animals, you will be able to see a short video to the exhibition and learn interesting facts related to the history, geography and ecology of the river. Every nature lover will have the opportunity to get involved with proposals for solving some of the environmental problems of the Maritsa River.
The deterioration of the environment and the pollution of rivers is a global problem that is gaining momentum. Bulgaria has a huge wealth in the form of clean water sources, but in recent decades our rivers have come under great pressure. This has a negative impact on the state of biodiversity.
The Maritsa River is an extremely important bio-corridor that connects the southern part of Bulgaria with the Mediterranean. It is home to a huge number of valuable species of fish, birds, amphibians and reptiles, mammals and plants. It is up to us to continue to enjoy a healthy and clean river that provides invaluable benefits to people not only as resources but also as a place for recreation and sports.
The project is implemented as part of the program "Heritage" of Plovdiv - European Capital of Culture 2019 and the assistance of the Municipality of Plovdiv. The exhibition is possible thanks to RIM - Burgas, the assistance of the Department of Ecology and Environmental Protection in the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences at Paisii Hilendarski University of Plovdiv, RAM - Plovdiv, RIM - Plovdiv, East Aegean Region Database, Bulgarian National Museum and the Balkanka Association and Nikolai Gavazov.
The art of icon painting is a complete system of thinking, secret knowledge, accessible to a small society, whose experience is passed on only in the family. Although the process of writing icons is basically traditional, manuals are also used, "erminia" that serve as a guide, it is not unimportant for the painter to have high theological literacy, to be a believer, sensory, because an icon is created by man, but is spiritualized by God, and the measure of time is prayer - the time technologically necessary for a process is as much as the reading of the corresponding prayer!
The system of preparation for "image painting" is complex - the key details of the materials used, the specifics of which mix different paints so as not to crack or fade, the resistance of pigments and oils and their properties when combined and so on and so forth. ... nowadays this knowledge is unknown to many. That is why today - both the painting and the restoration of an icon cannot be done completely authentically, many of the rules of this special art are inapplicable, which calls for explainable respect and humility ...
On the occasion of the Feast of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary - August 15, the Burgas Regional Museum is proud to present to visitors-connoisseurs, two of its beautiful icons - another restored from the museum collection - the Virgin and Child and St. Panteleimon. The cultural values have been restored thanks to a successful donation campaign, supporting the museum's activities for the preservation of cultural heritage.
The icon of the Holy Mother of God with the baby is one of the late creations of the Tryavna priest Dimitar Kanchov and his eldest son - Hristo, painted in 1874. The Holy Mother and the Infant are depicted as queen and king, in lavish robes and radiant halos. The Virgin Mary is revered as the patroness of children and mothers, in her person Christians have their intercessor before the Divine and her son. In the temple, the icon is always placed first, to the left of the royal doors, on the royal row of the iconostasis.
The icon of St. Panteleimon, whose name translates as "Merciful", depicts a young man with large, gracefully painted eyes and smooth hair. In his right hand he holds a cross and a plant, and in his left - a box of medicines - attributes of his occupation as a healer. The icon is written in the so-called an academic style typical of the late 19th and early 20th centuries, when Western European and Russian artistic influences entered icon painting. St. Panteleimon is one of the healing saints to whom many people place their hopes for healing.
Desislava Tomova and Lyuben Kolev, the specialists-restorers with whom RIM-Burgas works, are responsible for the skillful restoration of the two icons. The relics are subjected to a series of specific effects - the surface layers of dust and dirt are removed, as well as the scabs varnish coating; the ground is strengthened; the subcutaneous tissue is removed; the wooden base is dewormed and stabilized; an imitative retouch was made to restore the integrity of the image and as a final result - the original aesthetic impact of the works was restored.
The team of the Regional Historical Museum-Burgas expresses its gratitude to the two restorers, to the donors who wished anonymity, but genuinely sympathetic to the cause, to the people from "Social Center - Burgas" and to all friends of the museum who support our efforts to be worthy of the deeds of their ancestors.
Ivanka Deleva, chief curator of the Historical Exposition at RIM - Burgas