The excavations of the medieval city of Rusokastro in 2017 revealed 662 animal bones, which were studied by the archaeozoologist Georgi Ribarov. It became clear that the inhabitants of the city in 13-14 century had consumed meat from different animal species. It is noteworthy that 25% of the total number of bones is from game - wild boar, red deer, roe deer, hare, pheasant, swan. This shows that hunting was a serious livelihood for medieval people. Of particular importance is the discovery of wild bovine bones that reach a weight of 1100 kg and hunting it was very dangerous.
Domestic animals are presented with bones of pigs, goats, sheep, cattle and buffalo. It is noteworthy that the pigs consumed are mostly 6-8 months old. Of the small ruminants for food are used more sheep than goats. Bones of goose were found from the poultry.
Very important information is gained from the study of horse bones. It became clear that they were from selected breeds used for riding, not traction. By their metrics, they come close to the bones of horses found in the Tsarevets fortress - bred for military purposes and which are by no means used in domestic farms.
The excavations of the Rusokastro Fortress were conducted in June-October 2017 by the Regional historical museum Burgas. They are funded by the Municipality of Kameno, the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Bulgaria and the National Museum of History - Sofia.
The Burgas Museum's festive program for st. Nicolas Day begins with the visiting exhibition "From the Hand of a craftsman from Tryavna". It will be opened at 17:30 hours on December 4, 2017 (Monday) at the Historical Exposition of Burgas, located on 31 Lermontov Str.
The exhibition arrives in Burgas from the Specialized Museum of Carving and Painting - Tryavna. It presents the traditional Bulgarian handicraft carvings, iconography, architecture, which make up the oldest art school in Bulgaria, which arose in the second half of the 17th century. Besides, the authors of the exhibition - Daniela Dabkova, Irina Dimitrova, Lydia Goranova, Lyuba Tsaneva and Konstantin Malchev tour guide describe crafts in which travnents have a role to play. Among them are rose-making, cousin (decorative textile craft, working exclusively in Tryavna and Edirne from the 17th century), cookery and minting, mutfishing - a craft where in Tryavna is attempted mechanization of production.
The exhibits also feature original artifacts, masterpieces, pictures, tools, icons, woodcarving and finished products, as well as information boards for the crafts presented. The artistic layout of the backgammon is by the artist Ivelina Velinova. Reconstructions were made at the painting and carving workshops, as well as the models of the Daskalova House and the Old Square.
In addition to the exhibition visitors will be presented the successful end of this year's campaign of the Regional historical museum of Burgas to raise funds for restoration of icons. Completely restored is one of the most influential icons of st. Mary and the young Jesus stored in the museum collection. Until now the icon could only be seen in the virtual encyclopedia on the museum's website. The large icon of the Virgin Mary with the baby was made by the Tryavna icon painting school at the end of the 19th century and will now take its place in the iconic hall of the Historical Exposition. This was possible thanks to the funds provided by Maria Muladzhikova, the ladies from the Burgas Zonta Club and another donor who wished to remain anonymous.
Regional History Museum Burgas will participate in "Father's Week 2017" - part of the national campaign "Being a father" of ten Bulgarian NGOs, united to promote the active participation of men in child care.
Committed to the campaign and to encourage Bulgarian fathers to spend more time with their children, from 6th to the 11th November 2017, the expositions of Burgas Museum - Archaeological, Historical and Ethnographic will work with 50% discount on tickets for visit of fathers with children. This means that for children over 7 years the ticket will be 1 BGN and for the father - 2.5 BGN, children under 7 years - free of charge.
"The jewellery over the centuries - a symbol of power or decoration" is the theme of the new exhibition in the "Treasure Hall" of the Archaeological Exposition of RHM Burgas. It includes interesting artifacts from the collections of several museum expositions.
Jewellery is an important element of clothing throughout all periods of human development. Reflecting on the social status of their bearers, it gives the researchers a great deal of information about the history and changes in our ancestors' lives. Visitors will be able to get acquainted with trends in the development of women's jewels from ancient times to the present day.
Next to the golden jewels from Antiquity there are presented exquisite medieval earrings (XI-XIV c.), found in the Burgas region, as well as cross-enclopions from the same period. There are also women's jewels from Burgas from the end of the 19th century - head, neck, hand, and cross - according to the shapes of the human body and the structure of the traditional costume. Selected exhibits, different in material, technique of making, ornaments. The individual details and their viewing reveal a whole world - both concrete and abstract - the surrounding nature with its incredible diversity, the relationship in society, the place of the woman in it, the symbolism of folk beliefs, the imagination of the unknown kumuyji master.
But whether these jewelers are just an appendage to clothing or have a special function, and whether they really belonged only to women? These questions will be answered by museum specialists in an interesting lecture at the exhibition.
The elite exhibition in the Treasure Hall is complemented by a large collective find from the village of Zvezdets, Malko Tarnovo. The silver coins of the Ottoman sultans Mustafa III (1757-1774), Selim III (1789-1807) and Mahmud II (1808-1839) complement the museum collection of domed and coin funds.
The new artefacts can be seen in the Archaeological museum (Burgas, 21 Bogoridi Street) from Tuesday to Saturday, from 9.00 to 17.00.
In 2017, 1,100 years have passed since the victory of Tsar Simeon the Great over the Byzantine troops on the banks of the Aheloy River. The battle, which took place on 20 August 917, is one of the most spectacular battles in the Middle Ages. According to the chroniclers, 122,000 warriors took part in it.
In honour of this memorable event, the international scientific conference "Simeon Bulgaria in the History of Southeast Europe: 1100 Years from the Battle of Aheloy" will be held in Pomorie.
The prestigious forum will gather scholars from October 25 to 28, 2017. The plenary sessions will take place in several sections on October 26 and 27 with over 60 scientists from Bulgaria, Russia, USA, Austria, Germany, Canada, Poland, Greece, Serbia and Ukraine. They will present their latest developments in the fields of History, Archaeology, Numismatics, Scrapistics, Epigraphy, Byzantine and Bulgarian historical studies related to the topic of the conference.
It is expected that the scientific meeting in Pomorie will become an elite forum, which will give a more detailed view of the era of Tsar Simeon the Great, Simeon's "Golden Age" and the First Bulgarian Kingdom.
Organizers of the prestigious conference are Pomorie Municipality, Pomorie Historical Museum, Veliko Tarnovo University "St. St. Cyril and Methodius", Sofia University "St. Kliment Ohridski" and Regional historical museum Burgas.
In the last days of Rusokastro's research for 2017, the Burgas archaeologists have discovered the water reservoir of the fortress castle. It is built in the southeast corner of the citadel of the fortress. It has irregular shape with dimensions 15 m long from the west and 12 m from the east, with a width of 8 m and arched northwest corner. In the middle of the reservoir, at the north-south line, two massive stone stairs were built. The facility was covered with an arcade structure, huge pieces of which had fallen inside. In 2018, the heavy debris is expected to be removed by a crane.
The capacity of the reservoir is at least 300 m3. It is protected by the powerful southern and eastern wall with a width of 2.5 m, as well as by a large circular round tower with a diameter of 7 m. The water reservoir had a second floor leading to a four-staircase staircase.
The walls of this monumental facility are carefully plastered with thick hydrophobic (waterproof) mortar plaster. It has a pink color, because it contains a large amount of ground baked ceramics, which in fact provides waterproofing.
The excavations of the Rusokastro Fortress are led by Milen Nikolov and Dorothea Girdziyska from the Regional historical museum Burgas and are funded by Municipality of Kameno, Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Bulgaria and National Museum of History.
The processing of the ceramic material, analysis of coin finds and examination of the discovered animal bones by an archaeologist, are still to follow. These tests will be especially curious, because they will make clear what meat ate the medieval Bulgarians and Byzantines in the 13-14 c.
On 4 October, we celebrate World Animal Protection Day.
This year, the Regional historical museum - Burgas celebrated the celebration together with the students of the 5th grade with the class leader Greta Stoyanova from "St. St. Cyril and Methodius "School - Burgas. The topic we were discussing, "Do Animals Feel", provoked interest in the children who were struggling to express their opinions and give examples of their personal experiences with pets. The Fifths were familiar with the purpose of the World Animal Protection Day and what was needed to conserve their habitats. A talk about the feelings and emotional inhibitions of the wildlife of the animal world supplemented the students' knowledge of the surrounding nature. The topics "How do animals show their feelings" and "What does our pet need?" Were discussed. The event ended with the game "Trees - sources of food and habitats for forest animals" and recognition of winter birds in the pictures.
Regional historical museum Burgas celebrate the European Heritage Days 2017 with its own cultural program, which started with the scientific conference "Bulgarian Refugees in Burgas and the Region 1878 - 1945" and will end on the last day of the summer season - 30 September (Saturday) with free access to the museum expositions.
This is the last day when visitors will have the chance to see the golden guest exhibitions at the Archaeological Museum (Burgas, 21, Bogoridi Str.) - "The oldest gold in Europe - the treasures of the Varna Chalcolithic necropolis" by RHM Varna, the "Thracian treasure from Borovo" from RHM Russe and "The Treasure from Nadsentmiklos" from NHM Sofia.
From 1 October, the Burgas Museum's expositions will switch to their winter working hours: Tuesday through Saturday from 9.00 to 17.00 hours, Sundays and Mondays - closed.
Over the past two decades, the European Heritage Days initiative has become one of the most important events in the cultural calendar of Europe, attracting millions of visitors to the rich cultural heritage of the continent. In September each year, countries in Europe open the doors to more or less familiar cultural landmarks by organizing various campaigns to promote the heritage and search for its place in the present.